Saturday, September 15, 2012

Babies Don't Keep {Daily Diaries}








This past week has been a particularly tough one. Which brings me to this weeks Daily Diary. On top of the regular mumbo-jumbo, Gracie has been teething. For the majority of our day she would just cry. I consider myself a pretty patient person. But the constant crying and temper tantrum throwing really got to me. I was at my wits end. I couldn't function anymore. The house was a mess, I looked like a hot mess and gg just wanted to be held. I was...what's the word? Oh. Stressed. I remember trying to sooth her and distract her from her pain. But nothing was working. I finally gave her some tylenol and started rocking her to sleep.

 As she was in my arms, she looked up at me and smiled. "Hi!", she said. Curled back up in my arms and fell asleep. I got teary eyed and I immediately felt guilty for being so impatient and frustrated with her that day. I couldn't help but look back on her short life and realize how fast she's grown up. It literally makes my heart hurt. I wish that I could slow down time and let her be little for a just a while longer. 

UNDONE: Babies don't keep

My favorite quote for my "motherhood" self. Quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby, 'cause babies don't keep.

That day I made myself promise that I would soak up every small ounce of tears, smiles, frustration, snuggles, tantrum throwing, baby-ness that Grace would allow me to have. The days that my house is the messiest and I just focus on having quality time with gg...those are the best of days. I love that babe so much. I can't believe that I have a 1year old! Time really does fly. Especially when you're having fun. 

Here is Grace. Less than a day old.
UNDONE: Babies don't keep



And here she is at 1 year old. (photo by Kati @ Katiannphotography.blogspot.com)
UNDONE: Babies don't keep


I hope that when I have another day like this, (because there will inevitably be more.) that I will take a deep breath, count to 10 (or a 1,000) and remember the important things in life. Thank you Grace for being patient with me and helping me learn more than I could ever imagine. You are my girl :)


2 comments:

Morgan Swenson said...

Ditto to everything you said :). Love that poem. It's funny how you can look at the stressful/hard times of being a mommy and know that you're going to miss those moments too when they're gone. How do we keep them little?!

Tammie Hess said...

So glad you've learned so quickly with a first child. Enjoy every moment. They fly by and then you'll wish they were back:)

Pin It button on image hover