Sunday, September 23, 2012

Not So Stainless Steel {Frequent Frustrations}







I love, love, LOVE the look of stainless steel appliances, but I'm convinced that whoever came up with the idea didn't live with children or pets - or a man.  Anyone who has stainless steel knows what I'm talking about right now.

This...
UNDONE: Super easy way to clean stainless steel

Between the three categories of monsters listed above, my stainless becomes a lot more stained than less.  Of course white and black appliances get dirty too, but the kicker with the stainless steel is that its not so easy to clean up. You can't just wipe off the one little water spot, you've got to clean the whole thing or you get weird marks, and I've found with the stainless steel cleaners I've bought that it takes a little bit of time and elbow grease to get a streak free look. Well, stainless steel owners, get ready, because nasty finger prints on my fridge are no longer a frequent frustration for me, and I'm not paying out the wazoo for expensive stainless steel cleaners either. A few months ago I discovered a tip that has changed my life - not an exaggeration... stainless steel can be cleaned with WINDEX. When I found this out I had a "why didn't I think of that before" moment, because duh, it makes sense - the main function of Windex is streak free glass cleaning. This is so fast and easy and works better than any stainless steel cleaner I've ever bought. All I do is spray about the same amount of Windex I use to clean a window, and then wipe with the grain of the steel with a paper towel. It would probably be even better if I used some kind of lint free cloth, but I'm lazy, so yeah.

A few minutes later, here are all of my pretty appliances.
UNDONE: Super easy way to clean stainless steel
The fridge is actually "Clean Steel" so it doesn't show fingerprints as much and is easier to clean, so while it actually gets the dirtiest it was less of a problem than the dishwasher, which was my former nemesis. This is where I really love the Windex trick. It has saved me SO much time with this appliance.
UNDONE: Super easy way to clean stainless steel
This stove is only a couple of months old, and I'm pretty sure these stainless steel knobs would have been the death of me if I wouldn't have learned this easy way to clean them.

UNDONE: Super easy way to clean stainless steel
The microwave is by far the trickiest to clean. It needs to be cleaned with the grain of the steel so it takes several little wipes to get the left edge clean and even using Windex it is still a little tricky to get a uniform shine. But Windex has made cleaning the front of the microwave a million times easier, because I don't have to clean the glass and the steel separately and worry about over spray marking up the area I just cleaned. 

So there you have it. I don't get quiet as upset when there's dog slobber all across the dishwasher less than a minute after its been cleaned, because it seriously only takes about 20 seconds to clean it right back up! I'm still not happy about it, but I don't have a cosmic meltdown anymore.  How do you guys clean your appliances?







*DO YOU LIKE THIS TIP? GO AHEAD AND PIN IT!*

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover