Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas for Kids {Daily Diaries}








I can’t believe how fast every year goes by. 2012 is almost over! I always look forward to this time of year. The Christmas season is one of my favorites. I love the feeling in the air. The lights, the Christmas trees, the decorations, the giving of gifts, family traditions, yummy treats etc. I’m so excited for Grace to know and have all of these wonderful things that Christmas brings.

     My worry though, as I’m sure many of you have, is that she will get caught up in the commerciality of Christmas and not care to understand the
 true and wonderful meaning of why we celebrate Christmas. Now, I know that Grace is too young right now to even understand why we go to church or why we celebrate certain holidays. I mean, she’s only 15 months old. But when she is old enough to understand, what do I do? How do I help her understand that Christ is the reason we celebrate? How can I help her know that it’s not about getting gifts, it’s about giving gifts without the thought of receiving? 

     I’ve heard many ideas like making an advent calendar that is specially made for the giving of service to others. Or throughout the year save up all of your extra change and cash in a jar and then on Christmas eve leave it on the doorstep anonymously of someone you know is in need. I guess my question for you is, how do I keep Christ in Christmas? What has worked for you? Please help me out! This season has turned into "What am I getting for Christmas?!", instead of, "What am I going to do for others this Christmas?". I feel like Christmas in no longer centered around Christ. And I definitely want my family to be one who loves, honors and serves our Savior all year long. Especially at Christmas time. So. Let’s hear some ideas :) Please! 


ALSO! We are going to do another GIVEAWAY! We will start when we hit 50 likes! If you aren't following our blog yet, please do! Thats one automatic entry :) If you are a follower, then tell your friends to follow us too! 50 likes! We're almost there! 


PS. We love to hear from anyone who reads our blog! Comments are our favorite. So keep 'em coming! 

1 comment:

Melissa Stone said...

On Christmas eve we always read Luke 2 and watch Mr Kruger's Christmas (you can get it at the distribution center). We also put up a Nativity. We watch a part of the Christmas devotional each Sunday starting the Sunday after Thanksgiving until Christmas (you can download a podcast on itunes). We try to get our little boy (17 mo.) to sit and watch with us, and the talks tend to be short enough that he can make it.

Pin It button on image hover