Saturday, January 26, 2013

Drops of Awesome!!! {Daily Diaries}





As a stay at home mom, I feel inadequate and unproductive. Almost all of the time. I beat myself up constantly about the small things and the big things. I considered myself to be an upbeat and positive person. But as soon as I became a mom, I felt unimportant and insignificant. I always think "oh, I could've done that better" or "You're not a very good friend to 'so and so'" or "Look at you! Should you really be eating that cookie?" etc.

Needless to say, I talk myself down all the time which makes me feel like crap! I compare myself to others and it makes me feel horrible about myself. I've tried to be better in the last year, giving myself a little bit of credit, here and there. But at times, I still felt like a big ball of mommy crap.


I've been searching for some positive reading material and I came upon this blog post that one of my friends shared on FB about a month or so ago. She said to "Take a look! It will make you feel better about yourself." And I thought...."Well, what can it hurt?" So, I clicked on the link and it took me here
                     





Please, read this post. It has truly made me think of myself in a better light. I loved this sentence when she said

"When I started thinking about my life in terms of adding these little Drops of Awesome for every tiny act of good, I found that I was doing more and more of them because it’s a lot more fun to do good when you’re rewarded with joy, rather than being guilted about every failure in your past." 


I've started applying this to my own life, and I can honestly say that it has helped me immensely! I'm happier when I'm with Gracie, I'm happier when I'm with Jared. Most of all, I'm happier with myself. I'm not a perfect person. In fact, I'm completely undone most of the time. But, by telling myself that the little things I do DO matter, has helped me have a more positive outlook on my life. I have a purpose. I'm not defined by what I do not do. I am a good person. I try my hardest. And that's all I can do. I loved this blog post so much! Read it and let me know what you think!

Today my drops of awesome include:

*Trying out a new pinterest hair-do.
*Eating a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast instead of chocolate...like I really wanted to do. lol!
*Showering before 11am. This is unheard of.
*Getting Gracie dressed and ready before 11am.
*Snacking on carrots and orange peppers. Instead of chocolate...like I really wanted to do.
*Getting out of the house with Gracie.
*Not losing my cool with a teething baby.

Winning!!! My bucket of awesome is being filled in a timely manner today. And. It feels good!










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you start tearing yourself down remember that you're talking about Gracie's mom and Jared's wife. Don't allow anyone to talk badly about someone so important to them.

Whit said...

I love that comment! Such a good way to look at yourself as your childs mom and your husbands wife and you mean the world to them. LOVE it

Kals said...

Love this link cousin! I cried at the end. It's so true. It's so easy to see how amazing others are and hardest to see it in yourself. I only see flaws in myself. I'm learning it's okay that I'm not perfect. For a time in my journal I started writing at least 5 positive things that happened that day. Before that, it was so negative. I am so much happier now and I love looking back on the 5 positives from each day.
You are amazing. When you see all of the wonderful things that Grace does, remember it's because of good examples like you in her life! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this!

Kristie said...

Love drops of awesome. I did it for a YW lesson, and it was awesome. The leaders seemed to get a little bit more out of it that the girls, but hopefully something sunk in and it helps them at some point and time.

Pin It button on image hover