Friday, February 22, 2013

Journaling {Daily Diaries}





If you know me well, you know that I love to keep a journal. I have kept a journal since I was about 9-10 years old. I'm not good at expressing my feelings and emotions outwardly, so I found a way to express them through writing. It's taken me a long time to get into a routine and having a baby has kind of messed that up a bit. I don't write nearly as often as I used to, and when I do write I don't get nearly as detailed as I used to. It's a shame. Really. Here are most of my journals to date.




Let me tell you about some of the benefits of journaling. And these are my benefits, they might not work for you. And some of the benefits I mention, you might be like "Uh, you're cray cray." You be the judge.

Benefit #1: Journaling helps me express my emotions in a healthy way. I've never been good at expressing my feelings/emotions. When I don't get that 'let out' it really effects me. My mind seems like a tangled up mess. I'm short with people and I just can't think straight. But after I journal my mind feels at peace. (just a little :)) There is something to this, honestly.

Benefit #2: Journaling helps me remember the good times AND the bad times. Which I think is really important. You have to experience the bad to remember how good the good times are. Recording the bad times help me realize how blessed I really am. Also, I have the WORST memory ever. So I make an extra effort to write in my journal when something good happens. That way I can remember exactly how I felt, what was said, who was there etc. It helps me remember how I felt the first time I saw Jared. Or the first time I held Grace. It also helps me remember how not to act in certain situations. Or what not to say to Jared when he doesn't put his dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Lol! Seriously though. My journal has more deep thoughts than just those. But you get the gist.

Benefit #3: Journaling helps me feel reassured that my posterity will know who I am, what I liked, what I believed, what mistakes I made, what triumphs I had etc, long after I'm gone. And that makes me happy! I didn't come to earth just live and die. I'm here to leave a bit of a legacy. I want whoever reads my journals one day to learn from my mistakes. To know that they're not alone. That I went through a similar experience. Whatever. It's comforting to know that my words will always be here on this earth. Unless my journals are burned in a terrible fire. Then...well obviously I will only be a distant memory. Haha!

Benefit #4: Journaling has no rhyme or reason. I can control what I write, when I write it, and why I write. It's all up to me. And I'm in full control, baby! It's the one thing in my life that can control. And it makes me feel good! HAILEY POWERRRRRRRR!!!!

Benefit #5: Journaling is like having your personal therapist in the palm of your hands. I feel like when you can just talk something out to someone...and they don't say anything back. They just listen. You can figure things out for yourself. You are usually the best advice giver for yourself. You know who you are. You know deep down how to handle a certain situation. You are in control of how you react. So writing things down and just getting them out in the open can help you solve problems. All without being judged my someone else! See? Personal therapist. No judging. Win win!!!

So these are just some reasons why I journal. I hope that you might try journaling if you think one of these reasons might help you out!

Some times I pick up my pen and put it to paper and I think ".....I have nothing to write about...". Which is always false. If you get writers block try writing about a certain friend or family member. Did someone have a birthday recently? Write about them! Did you go to the grocery store and find a treat that you used to eat as a kid? (Dunk-a-roos! Dollar General. I loved those! Hahahaa! See?!)  Did you read a friends FB status that made you mad? Or did you read an article online that really touched your heart? All of those things can spark a little something and make a domino effect. And your pen starts to write!

Now that I'm a mommy and I don't get much time/don't remember to write until it drives me insane, I only write down the essentials. Right now I have 2 journals that I write in. One is a "Smash Journal" and the other is just a regular journal that I bought at Barnes and Nobel. Ok, If you haven't heard of smash journals, here is a little education! A smash journal really has no rhyme or reason at all! You can pick any page to write on, write where ever you want to write etc. It's not formal. Smash journals come with a pen. It has a nice felt tip pen on one end and a glue stick on the other end. You can glue in pictures, ticket stubs, love notes. Whatever. You can purchase smash journal "flare" which is pretty much scrapbook stuff. It just makes it more fun :) I don't do a lot of that, but I love the fact that it's not formal and I can just pick a page and write. The current Smash Journal that I have is themed towards babies. So I write about Grace in this one. I write about my hopes and dreams for her, what kind of food is her current favorite, what words or phrases she says, how she stops to hug my leg when she knows I'm sad.


Here is my Smash Journal


Here is the pen/glue stick.


Here is one page I've written for/about her.

Our first Christmas card that I glued in :)

A page full of all of her things that she's done/things that've happened to her.

One of my favorite pages. Still blank. I'm sure I will find something to write about soon.

Some flare. (Sorry it's blurry.)



I plan on giving her this journal someday. I'm trying to decide if I should give it to her after she
graduates high school or when she is a mommy....I guess I will know the right time. I'm excited!

Ok so for my formal journal I write things that are more serious. How I feel about mine and Jared's relationship, what kind of a person I want to be, how I want others to perceive me, how I'm feeling spiritually etc. I really let me feelings out. I don't hold back. And It feels great.




Try keeping one of those journaling benefits in mind when you write in your journal next and hopefully it will help give you some more motivation! Journaling is tough. It takes practice. But I promise, you will benefit from it for forever if you do! It's definitely benefited my life greatly. It helps my undone nature feel a little more "done up!". But lets face it. Being udone is the norm! Remember, we are progressing when we aren't perfect. Life is all about being Undone.

Good Luck Journaling!!!



3 comments:

Whitney Leigh said...

I used to journal ALL the time. And then when I started my blog, I have come to a screeching halt. I do have a smash book though, and I LOVE it. they are so fun!

Anonymous said...

Love that you love journaling. You are an inspiration to me!

Kiffon said...

I need to do more of this. I use my blog as a journaling tool for the day-to-day happenings, but I am sporadic with it at best. It also doesn't give me the freedom to write some of the things I might write if it were a private journal. Thanks for the inspiration Hailey! You are wonderful!

Pin It button on image hover