Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mucky Muck {Frequent Frustrations}





Spring is coming! The weather is warming up and the snow is melting, and it's making me want to be in the mountains everyday before it's gone! I'm loving the slightly warmer weather and sunshine, but don't think I'm getting to enjoy it to it's full extent... because I live in a marshland!!!

As I mentioned earlier, the snow is melting, and consequently it has turned my backyard into a swamp! It's totally icky! I was thinking about taking Quinn out to play on the swing set when it was beautiful sunshiney jacket weather, but then I looked out the window and saw this...


This picture really doesn't show the true nastiness even. This whole AREA is completely mushy, as well as a good portion of the area just outsid of the photo on the left. It's a big, muddy, mucky, dog poopy mess! That's right, I don't just have complete swamp on my hands, I also have a whole winter's worth of dog poop out there!

It is actually less swampy near the swing set, but my very annoying dog has decided that location is the best for pooping, so the swingset was still of limits. So sad. Especially because this truly is a frequent frustration. Darren is not very prompt about picking up poo (I feel like that could be it's own post!), and unfortunately, this is not the first time we've been swampified.

Even though this marsh just settled in due the warming temperatures, our yard becomes a swamp quite often in the spring and summer. Maybe not always as bad as this, but the area of that giant puddle is usually "damp" at all times. The problem is that the two houses behind us sit on higher ground, so we're not just getting our own snowmelt, or rain and sprinkler run off. This situation is further compounded by the fact that one set of neighbors tend to let the sprinklers run a little too long, or forget to turn off the hose far too often. It's very annoying when the dog or Quinn decide they want to run through the gross area. Yeah... I have some choice words for those particular neighbors...

The previous owners of our home had mentioned how much of a make-over they gave the backyard, so I'm guessing that somewhere in the course of that work our yard found it's self lower than the others, especially because  it is visible at the fence line that the property behind us is two inches higher. It's weird. I LOVE the landscaping we have but I don't care for the yucky pond we sometimes get, and I REALLY don't care for the muddy dog! What to do, what to do? Just wait for the sun to come out and dry up the swamp before we go out back I guess. No fun!





No comments:

Pin It button on image hover