Friday, May 24, 2013

Getting Gray Hairs {Daily Diaries}






As I've mentioned in my previous posts, we are living with my inlaws. Mainly so I can help take care of my husbands 93 year old Grandma, Grace. She is still pretty independent and only needs help with a few things. She is so easy going and sweet. I just adore her. Taking care of Grandma Grace has definitely been a eye opener for me.

When I was in high school I would volunteer at a rest home almost every day of the week. Particularly in the alzheimer unit. I loved those people so much. They never remembered my name and often would forget what we were talking about in mid conversation, but I enjoyed their wisdom and company. It broke my heart when one of them would pass away. They had become like family. And the alzheimer's unit would feel a little empty after someone would pass away. Growing older never crossed my mind when I was in high school. Reality is NOT reality in high school. We all lived in fantasy land in high school. So naive. So very naive.

But recently, having taken care of my Grandma Grace, growing old has been a pressing subject on my mind. And I won't lie to you. It's scary. From gray hair, dentures, alzheimer's, napping all day, and depends. It makes me nervous. There are few and far in between that make it to the very ripe age of 93. Especially in the condition that my Grandma Grace is in. She is amazing! But all of this has got me thinking....

I'm not sure I'm ready to grow old. I'm not sure I'm ready to leave my 20's. I like being able to walk fast, pick up my baby, feed myself without shaking, remembering what I just said, etc. How do you come to the realization that we are all growing older everyday? How have you prepared yourself to grow old? Is it something that you CAN prepare for? Or does it just happen without you thinking about it?

The only way I can think of HOW to prepare for old age is just taking care of yourself physically, mentally and spiritually. And that starts NOW! Eating healthy, exercising, learning new things, finding a religious path, etc. So, pretty much just doing what we already know! Is that enough, though?

 How are you preparing for old age? Am I just overanalyzing everything? (I tend to do that...lol) Please let me know! This subject really has ben pressing on my mind A LOT lately. And I would love to hear your advice!





No comments:

Pin It button on image hover