Thursday, July 11, 2013

No More Sore Sandal Feet {Daily Diaries}






A couple of weeks ago I showed you how I re-vamped an old pair of sandals (which I've SO many compliments on!) so this week I thought I'd continue the summer shoe trend and show you how I upgraded a pair of Quinn's shoes. These adorable little babies were an Easter gift from Grandma, and we love them for so many reasons.

{The UNDONE Blog} Zebra Jelly Sandals

First, the adorable zebra print detail, because Quinn and I love pops of zebra (I may or may not have had zebra print accents at my wedding...), second, the sparkle jelly, and third, the neutral factor. These sandals can go with almost anything! Not too fancy, not too plain, and a color (or lack of one) that is universal. But now on to the cons. There is one thing that we definitely didn't  like about these sandals. They gave Quinn ouchies! No matter how cute a pair of shoes is, if they're causing my baby pain then they're a no go. The first time Quinn wore these shoes they rubbed between her toes and gave her some nasty sores. Poor baby! Her cute shoes were causing her pain! That's something only grown women are supposed to put up with!

I was a little disappointed that the cute zebra sandals were going to be useless and then I had a light bulb moment.  The only problem with them was the hard part between the toes, what if I could make that area not so hard? Luckily I happened to have the perfect material on hand to do just that. This fluffy zebra print faux fur - which was actually purchased to fix a pair of my sister's shoes a long time ago.

 {The UNDONE Blog} Faux Fur can be added to sandals to keep them from rubbing in between toes

 So check it out, here's how I  de-ouchiefided Quinn's shoes -

WHAT YOU NEED:
Hot glue,
Scissors,
Faux fur (fleece, felt, or any soft fabric would also work)

This is so simple. All I did was measure the height of the "toe piece" on the shoes and cut a small srtip of fabric tall enough to fit and long enough to wrap around at least one time,

{The UNDONE Blog}  add soft fabric to sandals to keep them from rubbing in between toes

put some hot glue on the shoe, making sure the glue seem would be on the front and not between the toes,

{The UNDONE Blog}  add soft fabric to sandals to keep them from rubbing in between toes

then lastly I wrapped the fabric around the toe piece and added a little more glue to secure it

{The UNDONE Blog}  add soft fabric to sandals to keep them from rubbing in between toes

Voila! No more ouchies!

{The UNDONE Blog}  add soft fabric to sandals to keep them from rubbing in between toes

Now I realize that with the way kids are this mostly white fabric is not likely to stay that way, but I don't care too much. If it get's too nasty I'll just cover over it with some black fleece or something like that, but I wasn't about to go the store when I had this on hand. Fabric store with a toddler = torture. Aside from looking cute, this faux fur has been super functional. We haven't had a single owie or complaint since I "fixed" these shoes.

Mission success! I always love it when I can save something that seems like it's un-functional or broken. When Parker was a toddler he spoke these ever so profound words, "Mommy can fix it, she's a FIXER!" Which I like to think is true. My husband might say I'm more of a junk saver, ghetto-rigger, which is probably also true. But either way, I'm proud to have saved the cute zebra sandals, and I hope this tip will help save many other little piggies from ouchies!





2 comments:

Emily Beth said...

great idea! might have to try this with some of my stubborn flip flops, too ;)

msemilybee.blogspot.com

Tiffany Renee said...

@Emily Beth, Thanks, I hope you have as much success as we did! Our sandals lasted all summer without any more sores, and the fabric stayed put perfectly!

Pin It button on image hover